Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Letters to the Young

I was both honored and intrigued when my friends at Comment approached me with an invitation to guest edit a special issue of the magazine. Their idea was to produce an entire issue inspired by the genre of Letters to a Young Calvinist. And so we came up with "Letters to a Young," the March 2011 issue of Comment. I'm really pleased with the results.

On the inside, this issue features letters written to young people across an array of vocations. You'll find
  • a letter to a young farmer by Norman Wirzba,
  • a letter to a young philosopher by Alvin Plantinga,
  • a letter to a young musician by Charlie Peacock,
  • a letter to a young film critic by Jeffrey Overstreet,
  • a letter to a young pastor by Jim Belcher,
and many more. Check out the full table of contents to get a sense of the range of vocations and writers.

I'm also really pleased with the outside of the issue--the cover. I was able to recruit a local illustrator, Rebecca Green, to do an original piece for this issue. Deanna and I have long been a fan of Rebecca's work: two small pieces entitled "Keep the Love Alive" hang in our living room. So it's a treat to introduce her work to a new audience.

Single copies are available for purchase; but better yet, subscribe to Comment now and receive "Letters to the Young" as your first issue.