Monday, March 16, 2009

Wolterstorff Redux: An Update

As I noted earlier, I made several contributions to the Immanent Frame symposium on Wolterstorff's Justice: Rights and Wrongs. Wolterstorff generously wrote a response to those three pieces entitled "The Fine Texture: A Response to Smith." And Immanent Frame has now posted my reply to Wolterstorff, "'Bob and Weave': A Response to Wolterstorff." Here's a snippet:

Nicholas Wolterstorff’s calm, careful, humble response to my posts might make me look like an overly pugilistic polemicist. But I think he’s just from a different school of pugilism. (As a Canadian and long-time hockey player, I think pugilism is a great way to spend a Friday night, with beers afterward.) Wolterstorff is a careful student of the “bob and weave” school of philosophical polemics, turning ill-advised haymakers into merely glancing blows. I, on the other hand, tend to be a student of the George Foreman school of philosophical polemics (and frequent user of his grills to boot!): I’m easily sucked in by rope-a-dopes. Why stop now?

Read the rest of "'Bob and Weave': A Response to Wolterstorff."